Friday, May 25, 2007

Friday Quote Day

You are only young once,
but you can be immature
for a lifetime.

- John P. Grier

What does that quote have to do with fitness, weight loss, running, knitting or getting healthy? Absolutely nothin'! I picked it because … drumroll … it's my birthday!

It's not nearly as momentous an occasion this year as last year's "double nickels." Fifty-six just doesn't have the same cachet as any number ending in zero or five, does it?

I've lost a total of eight whole pounds since my last birthday. Maybe I shouldn't have looked for that particular statistic; that's kinda depressing. And who needs additional depressing the day the calendar ticks over to another year.

Last year I listed five things I need to do to continue on the health-and-fitness path for the rest of my life. They were:

  • Carefully watch what I eat
  • Exercise daily
  • Avoid sugar
  • Keep a food/exercise journal
  • Take vitamins
I can see that I'm falling down on the job in more than one category. I'm not as careful with my food, I don't exercise daily, I haven't been avoiding sugar and my food/exercise journal hasn't been much of a priority lately. But I'm not a total loser. I still take vitamins!

I would say a recommitment is in order, wouldn't you?

Almost everything on my to-do list has been crossed off. The last big job left is mowing the yard, which I'll do today, and the remainder of the list is stuff I need to remember to take with me when I leave for my daughter's tomorrow. Every time I think of something else I can't forget I toss it into the guest room. Good thing we're not having company tonight.

One of the reasons I'm traveling is for a big family baby shower for my son and his wife. Remember that big project I wouldn't identify earlier this year? Here it is! Clicking on the link will take you to the free pattern. I think it's a perfect combination of understated classic plus little-girl lace.

Since I got all the projects done a couple days before my
self-imposed deadline, I also made her a lovey. If she chooses it for the never-let-it-go comfort toy, I can easily make a spare so there will be one for clinging and one for the laundry.

Then I started this for me.

This week will be lots of fun. The baby shower, of course, but also: My grandchildren are out of school, the neighborhood pool is open, my daughter has been walking several miles every morning, my son-in-law is going to encourage my weight-training and I hope we can run together, my granddaughter's dance recital is next weekend … I'm really looking forward to the trip.

Before I go, good luck to ws, who races on Sunday!

I may or may not be blogging all week … right now I'm thinking probably not daily, and maybe not at all. I'll just have to see how it goes. Y'all have a good week while I'm gone, and behave yourselves. And now …

Let's get this party started!

7 comments:

365 Dresses said...

Good morning, and happy birthday! Enjoy the day. The baby blanket is just beautiful.
Jeannie

MarilynB said...

Wishing you a very Happy Birthday Debbie.

I'm traveling right now and will write more later. I need to get back on track too.

Have a great day!

Shauna said...

happy birthday debbi you maestro of the knitting needles!

enjoy that week...

Grumpy Chair said...

Happy Birthday to youuuuu.
Happy Birthday to youuuuu.
Happy Birthdayyyyyy, dear Debbiiiiiiii!
Happy Birthday to youuuuuuuu!

And many moreeeeeeeeee!

Have a great time with the grandbabies.

dorothy rothschild said...

Happy, happy birthday!!!

Laura N said...

Happy Birthday! Have a super great week.

My daughter's birthday is today, May 25th, too. She is 6. We are having a "Fairies and Their Pets" party in our backyard tomorrow.

Jennette Fulda said...

Happy Birthday! Did you know it's also the 30th anniversary of the release of the first Star Wars movie? Lots of great things happened on May 25.

And yay, the secret project is revealed! I'd wondered what it was and thought I might have missed the post where you told us about it.