Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Oink

Well, I'm back at my race weight. That means I gained three pounds this week.

When I saw That Number I said to myself, "Self, you are not going to blog about this. You are going to ignore that number and get on with your day."

But, seriously, why have a weight-loss blog and then ignore or hide my lack of progress?

I'm not even going to try to analyze what might be the cause of it. Yesterday's sneak peek showed I'd stayed the same. There's no rhyme nor reason to it; it is what it is, and I'm not going to be ruled by a number.

Now, if I really weren't going to be ruled by a number, I wouldn't be going on and on about it, would I? Heh.

My run yesterday wasn't quite as wonderful as I wanted it to be. Much like That Number this morning. [Ouch! That was me slapping myself. getoveritalready!] I did the four hilly miles, but walked about 1.5 of them; my time was slightly less than an hour. It's fine, though – the longer I'm out there walking, the more calories I'm burning.

Theoretically, anyway.

Last night at the prison, after I got my drawing students started on their first upside-down drawings, I filled a notebook page with Things To Do this week. I'll be visiting my daughter soon and have to do tons o' chores before I leave. I always feel good when I start crossing things off. The first few completed tasks give me a sense of accomplishment and my energy levels inexplicably soar. You'd think when I'm doing all this, um, stuff, I'd be tired, but instead I get revved up.

Maybe that's what happens when we plan our meals ahead of time and schedule our exercise activities, instead of hoping we'll find time to prepare something healthful, or to spend an hour sweating.

And speaking of my daughter, she and her husband are celebrating their wedding anniversary today. Happy anniversary, sweetie! Your card's in the mail! If I'd made that list last week, it would be in your mailbox today. Ooops!

5 comments:

dorothy rothschild said...

I don't know if I've ever written this to you, but I think it's the bees knees that you teach that drawing course at the prison.

Sorry you are feeling more like ham hocks than bees knees, though. I'm sure it's a temporary water dealie. You are doing all the right things.

ws said...

I think that's why I don't own a scale... I live by the "it is what it is" mantra, because dwelling on things just gets frustrating, in my opinion. And, I left this comment on another blog today, I think not so great runs happen so that two or three runs later you have a great run that you are really happy with. (If only I took my own advice.)

Mary Gee said...

Wow! That! gives you something to look forward to.

I have gained 10 lbs. while training for a half-marathon. Not exactly what I had in mind. I hope I will lose it now...

Lori G. said...

While I don't know much about stuff like this (has that stopped me before?), I'm convinced that your body is going through changes from all of the running you've done and this accounts for flucuations.

As Dorothy, WS, and Mary say, you are doing the right things.

Sometimes the right thing doesn't have a payoff right away. Your success is much more than a stupid number on the scale. It's in how you feel, how your clothes fit, your athletic ability, and your accomplishments. None of these things have to do with a number on the scale.

It's almost 5 a.m. and for once, I'm going to do something a bit unusual. I'm going to own my success and say that I'm happy with what I've been able to do. Even now when I can't walk w/o looking like a caveman.

You have done TONS more than I have in the past year. You do SO MANY good things in your community (as opposed to me whose good deeds are not flipping the bird to obvious idiots). So stop slapping yourself.

And speaking of things coming in the mail....I'm guilty of that too. Ahem. Cough.

Grumpy Chair said...

To report or not to report. I have had that "self" conversation many many times since January 2007.

When I was losing, those little weight loss tickers were soooo cute! When the scale started to stall, then go up and up, all reports of my "weigh-ins" stopped.