Sunday, May 20, 2007

A pain in the …

One of the biggest reasons I wanted – no, needed – new shoes is the old ones had lost their cushioning. They had fewer than 400 miles on them, but a small blister had developed on the right side of the ball of my right foot.

The new shoes aren't helping.

I've been in denial about this, hoping it would magically fix itself. It doesn't hurt when I wear Birks or slippers or flip-flops or even dressier sandals. It hurts when I wear shoes that lace up. FlyLady would be so disappointed. Heh.

I want one of those TV evangelists to shout, "Heeeeeaaallll!!!" and make the pain go away.

I tried doing eight miles yesterday and had to quit halfway. Sometimes it felt like a needle pushing up through the ball of my foot. It was, at times, breathtakingly excruciating.

So. I think I need to take some time off for this to get better. I can lift weights and use the rowing machine for exercise, but no runner's high for me for a few days. Hopefully that's all it will take.

Mr. Shrinking Knitter and I went out last night, to the annual volunteer appreciation dinner at the prison where I volunteer. The Volunteer Coordinator and Chaplain organize the dinner, and once again they did a wonderful job. We were entertained by the prison's Praise and Worship choir, and they had us all on our feet, singing and clapping with true joy.

I didn't feel like I was at a prison at all. And for that one evening, I don't think the women who live there did either.

7 comments:

ws said...

Are sneakers supposed to last 400 miles??? Is the blister on the inside of your foot below the big toe (like the underside of the joint)? If it decides to form into a harder callous, this might not be a bad thing. It might just be the skin toughening up - it might not be pretty, but it might be beneficial. I'm not one to give out medical advice though, I'm an advocate of home surgery.

However, if you find a TV evangelist that does house calls for running aches and pains, I could use one also...

Enjoy your Sunday.

ws said...

oh, what type of socks are you wearing? Try to avoid cotton, they will just irritate the blister, in my opinion. I love these socks (if the full link doesn't work try www.sockguy.com and click on products, then "channel air.")
http://www.sockguy.com/socks_channelair.html

Mary Christine said...

Hey would you send the healer over here? I hope you get your foot issue resolved. Thanks for all of your support and encouragement.

Unknown said...

Ouch, that sounds very painful. I hope it heals up soon! Maybe your
shoes are a little tight or you're lacing them up tighter than you need to?

Anyway, hope you are better soon and able to get your fix. I always miss running when I can't do it.

Unknown said...

Ouch, that sounds very painful. I hope it heals up soon! Maybe your
shoes are a little tight or you're lacing them up tighter than you need to?

Anyway, hope you are better soon and able to get your fix. I always miss running when I can't do it.

I love reading about your volunteer work at the prison. Sounds like it was a fun night too.

Lori G. said...

I know nothing about feet and running. I had planned on going back to our running shop to get another pair of shoes for the treadmill, ellipitical stuff but that didn't happen (yet).

I wish you lived near me so you could go to this store; it's pretty cool, they watch how you walk and run and see how your feet land and whether you use your left arch, right arch, etc.

The suggestions about the socks and lacing up makes sense and I'm just so sorry your feet hurt so much.

Your night out last night sounded really wonderful and I'm glad Mr. Shrinking Knitter got to go with you and see who you work with, etc. I know he was proud of you and them too.

Jolene said...

I also invest in good shoes and socks and possibly because I don't rotate my shoes- have found that I need to replace them closer to every 300 miles (and that's even running on trails). If I ran on the road, I'd imagine I might even replace them sooner. As much as it pains me to get new shoes every so many months, I figure it's a small price to pay to avoid having aching knees that I have to replace! As for the blister...hmm. I've been lucky to avoid them. I do use Body Glide a lot and I've heard that helps on the toes as well.