Sunday, May 06, 2007

The ripple effect

As Mr. Shrinking Knitter and I were eating dinner last night, we agreed that my taking up long-distance running as a hobby – at my age! – was kinda unusual. Were it not for his son, who has run four marathons in two years, I doubt I ever would have considered registering for anything longer than a 10K.

On the morning of our family wedding party last fall, Mr.
Shrinking Knitter's son got up and ran 15 miles just as normally as you or I would pour a cup of coffee. And with that run, he inspired a whole bunch of people to pick up the pace.

Mr.
Shrinking Knitter's cousin and his wife were here that day; she is now doing the Couch to 5K training program.

When I registered for the Country Music Half-Marathon, I asked my son-in-law if he'd like to join me. He did.

My daughter is planning to run a 5K this September.

Her sister-in-law in California is thinking of running Bay to Breakers.

Thanks, Lee. From all of us.

Who have you inspired by your weight-loss and fitness efforts?

I did my eight mile long run yesterday, not planning to run it in a certain amount of time but hoping I would at least match my half-marathon pace of 12:05-minute miles. Woo hoo! 12:02!

My after-dinner brush-your-teeth-to-prevent-evening-snacking plan is working well. I'm training myself to drink something instead – usually decaf coffee with a splash of sugar-free creamer [which is really flavored high-fructose corn syrup, but oh, well].Thanks for your comments yesterday – even the spammy one! But to Mr./Ms. Spammer – don't come back! Belle's comment about it all starting with a diet is especially thought-provoking. I think she recently posted a longer and more thought-provoking comment on someone else's blog in the past day or two, but I'll be darned if I can find it now.


Now what else is this blog supposed to be about? Oh, that's right … knitting! I have been doing a little bit lately. During race training, I could think of little other than running. It's nice to be not-so-obsessed for a change! A baby shower loometh in just three weeks, and I have a couple little gift projects to complete. Made good progress on one of them yesterday. I also am making a simple little top-down cardigan for the baby which is turning out rather large. I think I'll put it away for Christmas. Besides, a North Carolina newborn making her appearance in July isn't going to need a sweater of any kind!

5 comments:

Mary Gee said...

Thanks Lee!
It is Mary Christine - I have a new blog.
http://middle-agedfitness.blogspot.com/

mehitabel said...

Went to a fund-raiser yesterday for a friend who is training for a marathon, with Team in Training for the Leukemia/Lymphoma Society. My daughter has run two marathons with APLA, Honolulu and Vancouver. Now she's getting ready to start training again and I'm thinking I might try some walking in support. These elderly joints won't take the running any more, although I used to love it. I think coming to terms with limitations is going to be my biggest problem!

ws said...

I think I've inspired people to think about changes, but not to make them...that's pretty sad, but I guess thinking is a first step.

Lori G. said...

Peer pressure is usually thought of as a negative thing but I have to say that one of the reasons I stuck with my "Terrified Swimmers" classes (re-enrolling because I was still pretty terrified even after each set of classes) were my classmates.

They were all different ones in each set (only two stayed in the same level as me twice) and we all encouraged each other. We'd remind each other of how far we've come and to just stick our faces back in the water and try again.

Debbi, you encouraged me to consider training for the C'ville race here in town but I'm afraid other events conspired against me doing that this year. Maybe next year I'll walk it though!

Rivkeh said...

I thought I was the only person on the planet who did that thing with the teeth-brushing. That's really funny. ;-)