Friday, May 04, 2007

Friday Quote Day

"It is impossible to win the race
unless you venture to run,

impossible to win the victory
unless you dare to battle."

~ Richard M. DeVos

One last reference to the half-marathon. I couldn't resist; I've been saving it for the first Friday Quote Day post-race.

That quote is so pertinent to so many things we weight-loss bloggers struggle with. How many times have we tossed the "what happens if I quit" ball around? Do we accept the status quo or keep plugging away? If we stop [eating healthfully, exercising, attending meetings, journaling, add your own] or start [eating sugar, skipping breakfast, cutting out workouts], will we undo all we've done?

This is a battle, but just as you can't cross the finish line unless you cross the starting line, you can't attain a healthy weight by wishing it were so.

I might print that quote out great big and put it on the bulletin board on the wall behind my desk. Right next to my finisher's medal.

So. Jonathan has thrown down the gauntlet, claiming the Weight Watchers frozen fudge bar is better than my favorite from Healthy Choice. What say you? I was going to create one of those fancy-dancy web polls, but all that HTML stuff isn't really necessary.

Here are your choices; place your vote in a comment:

  • Weight Watchers Giant Fudge Bar
  • Healthy Choice Fudge Bar
  • Fudgsicle Low-Fat Fudge Bar
  • Blue Bunny Health Smart Fudge Bar
  • Skinny Cow No-Sugar Fudge Bar
  • Klondike Slim-a-Bear Fudge Bar

WS mentioned yesterday that in 16 months she's never used her oven. Believe me, if I'm cooking for one I don't go around throwing spinach lasagna together. This is my husband's new favorite dinner, and since he eats out frequently [because his work requires travel] I'm only too happy to make something he requests when he's home. It's really not that hard to do, though. Just kinda messy. And I definitely take advantage of pre-shredded mozzarella and sauce from a jar.

Ran four miles again yesterday, in about the same time as Wednesday. It's great to just run, with no speed goal in mind, but I do like to keep track. Today is a weight-training day. I bought another set of dumbbells, 8 pounds. I'm going to do the dumbbell moves with three sets of weights today, going from light to heavy and back to light. I know there's a name for that but I can't remember it now. I'll be going from 4 to 8 to 12 to 8 to 4. I suppose I could do the same thing with the bench moves, but I'm too lazy to get up and add more plates to the barbell and the other attachments on the bench.

That's kinda funny, actually. Here I go, working out with weights, but don't want to spend any extra effort rearranging plates. Sheesh.

Not to get political or anything, but what do y'all think of this?

On a personal note, happy birthday to my daughter! On May 4, 1970, while the National Guard was on alert in Ohio, I was in labor, about to have my first child. She's an important and valuable part of my life. I know she wouldn't be if it weren't for the gift of sobriety. And quitting smoking. Heh.

11 comments:

Vickie said...

I am picturing someone buying all 6 bars at their store to compare. . .no one we "know" of course.

Amy said...

sorry, i've never had any of those. apparently i live under a rock.

Annie said...

I really like blue bunny but I haven't tried all the others so I can only say I like them compared the WW and healthy choice ones. Now healthy choice does make an ice cream sandwich that I LOVE.
As far as that article...I think insurance should cover a lot of different ways to help people to loose weight (it will save them money they don't have to use to treat problems later on). I think some will be mental issues but I also believe the majority are not. I think we have too much processed unhealthy food and not enough exercise as society. I have some medical issues (PCOS) that add to my weight gain but I don't believe they are all that causes it...I know I need to move my butt more.

Jennette Fulda said...

I eat the Popsicle brand fudge pops. I don't know if those are on your list.

The word you're looking for is "pyramid system." You go up the weight pyramid and back down again. I have a Cathe DVD that does this.

As for obesity as DSM-V, I don't know what is required to add an illness to that book. I do know people are fat for different reasons. Recently I posted about binge eating and learned a lot about what a real binge is, where someone eats quickly without tasting food until they are way fast full. Something like that certainly sounds like a mental disorder. So I'm sure some fat people have mental issues that lead to obesity, but I don't think all fat people do. It's like, if you have a runny nose you could have a cold or you might just have allergies. It depends.

Grumpy Chair said...

Can't vote on the fudge bars - I haven't had any of those.

You are doing a pyrimad on the weight training. I've been doing the same thing with 3, 5, 8 pound weights. Really can feel the burn . . .

Anonymous said...

Now that the race is done - congratulations! - what is your training /running program? I see you mentioned today being a weights day. Also, I could see going out and getting a box of each kind of fudge bar! Comaprison purposes only, of course! But so far I've only had Blue Bunny - our area doesn't carry a lot of variety. tg

Mary Christine said...

I am the rare creature who doent't like chocolate, so none of those selections would appeal. I do, however, like any kind of frozen fruit bars - and they are about 40 cals. each.
The DSM-IV has a few eating disorders already... I am sure compulsive over-eating could be added.

Jack Sprat said...

Hmmmm... since no one has voted, can I? I vote for the WW fudgebar!!! LOL.

Anyway, HBD to your daughter.

Oven ... oven .... I think my condo came with one of those. I'll have to check, I've only lived their six years.

Cindy said...

I like any of them, but used to binge on them sometimes so I have not bought them in ages. Congrats on the running, that is so fantastic. I cannot imagine myself ever doing anything like that. What an inspiration. PS I'd like to learn to knit.

Anonymous said...

I may be the rare person here who's had most of the listed options - although not all of them. I love the taste of the WW's giant fudge bars, but they're like eating chocolate air - they're so whipped up and "light" tasting, that I find it difficult to eat just one. On a good day, 2 will do me. Don't think I've ever had a box of 6 last more than 24 hours.

And, did you know that one WW Giant Fudgsice is one point, but two of them are FOUR points?!!! They are actually higher in calories than some brands, but keep the points low with added fiber. But once you add the calories together, the fiber in one is at the max and you end up with 4 points! (WW'ers will understand this) Quite the shocker.

So, like Cindy, I have been trying to avoid buying fudge bars because my resistance level is not good.

My favorite, however, is not any that are listed here, but the Publix brand, no-sugar added, fudsicles. I can sometimes be satisifed with one of them - and they are much more reasonably priced than most.

denise

mehitabel said...

Okay, I don't even like the taste of chocolate, so none of those would be my choice. However, my "other half" liked the Slim-A-Bear ones--he'd have preferred the "real" Klondikes but he was diabetic! My vice? Unsalted tortilla chips and pico de gallo!