Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Guess who's a year old today?

Yes, the Shrinking Knitter is growing up. But not out! No more getting bigger as we get older. Nosireeee.

It's not my birthday, it's the anniversary of my first blog post. Technically it wasn't my first, as I tried out a couple of other blogging services before I settled on easy-peasy Blogger.

I played around this week with new templates, thinking perhaps it was time for a fresh look. But in the end, I believe in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy. And besides, the pink Blogger template isn't my kind of pink. There are hundreds of blog skin sites out there, but I'd rather sort yarn and clean closets write than learn how to make them work. Heh.

A year ago I wrote:
Today, I feel unfit, weak and horrible. My weight is a constant – I am never not thinking about it. I don't like living like this and I intend to succeed this year.
Part of that remains true, and I doubt that any of you who are reading this and also trying to lose weight would disagree with me. My weight is a constant, and always on my mind. These days I'm not quite so negative about it, but I can still get pretty depressed over how I let my past success slip away over the years. [For those who are new, in 1997 – for about 10 minutes – I weighed 128 and comfortably fit into a size 8.]

But I honestly don't feel unfit, weak or horrible any more. Oh, when Mr. Shrinking Knitter wants to move a 200-pound chrome wire shelving unit from the lower to the upper level of the garage I feel pretty weak. But you would, too! It was heavy!

I couldn't have done that a year ago. No. Way. But we did it Sunday.

If I still felt unfit, I wouldn't have registered to run the half-marathon in April. And if I still felt horrible, I sure wouldn't have stuck with writing these posts, eating prescribed amounts of food and working out almost every day for a year, now, would I?

It's a fact that when I compare my life now to my life a year ago there's a world of difference. And I'm just slightly more than halfway to goal. I won't be able to stand myself! Heh.

Without getting too sappy, I just have to thank you for sticking with, linking to and commenting here on the blog, and for supporting me in my first of many more Years of Living Healthfully.

You're the best.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hurray!!! I'm so thrilled for you. To be able to look back over an entire year and know you're better this year than you were last is something to be so darn proud of. No sitting back and just letting the years coast by for you, nosiry, you're controlling them each step of the way!

Susie H said...

Happy BlogDay to You!! Thanks for sharing your insights, struggles, and successes with the rest of us. You rock!

M@rla said...

Happy Blogaversary! Here's to another year of great successes and knitting.

ADasa said...

Happy, happy! You're doing it! Good for you! Feel free to link my blog too! D

Jack Sprat said...

Debbi:

You've come a long way, baby! I'm so proud of the changes you've made and for the inspiration that you have provided by opening up your journey so publicly. Its one thing to post about food and exercise, but completely another to talk about motivation, setbacks, and emotions. Thanks for being such an inspiration!

Happy Blogaversary, indeed!

Anonymous said...

Happy Blog B-Day!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the 1 year blog-a-fest! I love to read what is going on with you every day and am looking forward to losing more weight with you this year!

Jeanette

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on all you accomplishments this year!!! You are a true inspiration. I really admire your honesty in sharing your thoughts and concerns and life with us. Please continue!
Happy blog b'day!

Anonymous said...

aww! happy blogbirthday! it's been great having you around in blogland :)

Anne M. said...

Happy BlogDay to one of my favorite bloggers! It's great to take an anniversary and look back and see such progress. I see you as very clear about your destination and the steps you need to take to get there. As susie said, You Rock!

Anonymous said...

I 'tune in' to you every day. You make a difference to a lot of us out in blog-land. Happy Blog-Day, indeed!

PS - are you available to move some furniture for me, too? *grin*

Grumpy Chair said...

Happy Blog Anniversary! I always look forward each morning to reading your blog.

Lori G. said...

Happy blogday to you! I really enjoy reading your posts and love your attitude. You and another blogger inspire me to try and do more for other people with your work at Alderman House.

It must be an interesting feeling to go back and reread the past year's thoughts and events. Your blog is one of the first ones I look at in the mornings.

Your fellow House fan....

Vickie said...

Very happy (belated) birthday to you - a year is a long time - I know what dedication it takes to write - nearly every single day - for that long. I am glad things are going well for you.