Saturday, January 13, 2007

Commenting on the comments

Yesterday was a rest-from-training day, as well as a go-out-for-dinner-at-Outback evening. Not a great combination, but I was so proud of myself at dinner. The 7-oz. filet came with two sides, so I requested a double order of steamed vegetables. When the plate came, I immediately cut the meat in half. I left it on my plate, just in case I still wanted it, but decided that Mr. Shrinking Knitter could have it for dessert. Which he did. I gave myself a high-five for eating sensibly.

We used to go to Outback and share a Bloomin' Onion and a couple loaves of bread before dinner. You don't want to know how many calories are in a Bloomin' Onion.

Today I'm supposed to do 30 minutes of cross-training, which will be the rowing machine. I'm also going to do the strength-training I was supposed to do Thursday. Yes! I will!

Despite parking my ass in front of the computer for hours every day, I don't spend a lot of time here at the blog. I post in the morning and am now approving comments a couple times a day, but usually I'm reading other blogs, working on a graphic design project, e-mailing or playing Solitaire.

Unlike some bloggers, I haven't made a habit of responding to comments with yet more comments, but I really don't know what the ::correct:: procedure is. At any rate, I like responding to your thoughts here, especially when I don't have a prohetic post to publish. [Ahhhh, alliteration!] So that's what I'm doing today.

Denise, try going up a needle size or two to help correct your tension. Tension [or gauge, depending on where in the world you knit] is a combination of yarn, needle and knitter, and pattern writers only take into account the first two. If you're fighting with your work, change the needle size; it will probably help. If not, I've heard wine works well.

Vickie mentioned the Guidepost Knit for Kids outreach program, and I'm happy to repeat the link here. I've donated a sweater or two for them, and encourage you non-knitters to click the handy donation button on their website.

Vickie also pointed out that domesticated dogs differ in their need for food. My own dogs prove this as well. Our younger dog,
Hershey, will eat what's in her bowl and move on. Our old girl, Molly, is quite fat and will quickly eat all her kibble and then move over to Hershey's bowl. Since Hershey isn't particularly territorial and eats more slowly than Molly does, Molly usually gets a meal and a little more.

It wasn't always this way. When Molly was the younger dog, she would eat and then go play. Or nap. At that time, Lindy was the voracious eater. But when Lindy was younger and you offered her a Frisbee or a bowl of food, she'd take the Frisbee every time.

So, at least in my pack, age has more to do with food consumption and weight problems than breed. Heh.

Perhaps the wild animals' secret is that they not only spend all their time, but also all their energy searching for and consuming food. I know I sure don't spend a lot of energy gathering and preparing my three squares per day. Jonathan wrote well and wisely about this last night.

I'm glad to hear it's getting cold in Wisconsin! I just can't imagine a mild winter there. When my daughter lived near Milwaukee she frequently said Wisconsin had two seasons: Winter and Fourth of July. I could never plan to visit during the winter months, because I couldn't count on
  1. Getting out of my driveway and down my very steep road due to snow or ice, or
  2. Being able to land at Mitchell Field due to snow or ice.
I shrank the beret yesterday, but the band is still too large. It's a double-thickness of fabric – not much room for shrinking when the gauge is so much tighter. The top looks great, though! I might be able to slip some elastic in there to make it fit, or I might toss it in a basket to donate to charity. Now to decide what to knit next.

This new free pattern from Berroco is on the short list. Isn't it lovely?

3 comments:

Anne M. said...

Good job on eating at the Outback last night. Those Bloomin' Onions sound so yummy and are so deadly when you actually look them up, which is why mostly we don't until the damage is done. You made good choices and gave Mr. Shrinking Knitter dessert, too. Yayyyy, you!

As for comments - I don't usually respond to comments on my blog in the comments section either, but sometimes when I'm feeling inclined I do, to keep things together. Depends on the topic and my mood. I don't think there are Blog Police to make us do one particular thing so we can do whatever suits us :)

While you're playing Solitaire, I'm usually doing Pop and Drop, my current game obsession.pyahtcca

denise said...

Thanks for the advice, Debbi. I think I might have used the wrong term when I said my problem was tension. It's not that the final product is too tightly knitted, it's that I'm making the stitches (or as I fondly call them loops) on the needle too tight. Therefore, I struggle to insert the needle and pull it back out after doing the loop-over. Even moving the loops back and forth on the needle is hard because they're so tight. I know this is not right/normal, as the person who was showing me how to knit last week kept saying she couldn't figure out why I was having that issue or how to fix it...

I am beginning to think I should try a thimble, as the tip of my left index finger is getting sore from pushing the point of the inserted needle back out! Ya gotta know I'm doing SOMETHING wrong. I don't think knitting is supposed to be one of those sports that hurts. Don't think I've ever heard a knitter say - no pain, no gain! :-)

I think the problem is just with my technique. Sometimes I can tell that the tension is getting worse when I'm not paying attention to pulling more yarn out of the ball and it's taut all the way back there. Sometimes if I pay attention, I can loosen it a bit, but that doesn't last for long.

Bottom line - maybe the wine is the best idea!

Anonymous said...

I love that same sweater. Think dropping a few (or more) pounds would be a good idea before I knit something ribbed, however. Your blogless friend.