Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Treadmill vs. road

Yesterday was a rest/cross-training day, as Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays always are during the 14 weeks of my half-marathon training. I've always done something on Tuesdays and Fridays, because I am not just training for a race; I'm also trying not to be the fattest old lady on the course.

The YOAD strength workout was very easy, incorporating many familiar-to-me moves and convincing me that I'd probably be better off sticking with a couple of weight bench and yoga sessions each week. I need to do more work on flexibility and leg strength.

For the rest of yesterday's workout, I went for a two-mile walk/run. The first mile of my loop is all uphill, and is walking by default. [At one time, long ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I was able to run up the first hill. 'Twas in another lifetime.] Naturally it was an easy choice to run downhill all the way home.

Although running downhill has its own set of rules to prevent knee injuries. And you have to be careful not to slip on the gravel.

Anyway, my last road run was probably a month ago, maybe longer. Quelle difference! If I ever wondered which was more effective – the treadmill or the road – I am wondering no more. The road wins, hands down, no question.

It's a good thing I gave myself 14 weeks to train, because I feel like I'm starting over.

Today is another four-mile 'easy' run, and will happen probably in the early afternoon. It rained all night, but the rain is moving out and the temperature should be up to about 50 by the time the roads are dry.

I went to a meeting last night and wore a pair of pants that I was sure would fit snugly. I told Lori how surprised I was that they just slipped right on. Some of you suggested that even though my weight was staying the same, I was probably losing inches. It's certainly true of my waist [thank you, YOAD!], but being able to wear those pants comfortably was a nice surprise.

I also Googled for something like 'losing weight while training for a marathon' and came away further convinced that I'll be maintaining for a couple more months. Cross-training on rest days might help, but probably won't make much of a difference. So if you're stopping by here looking for weight-loss tips, you might want to come back in May. I think the only thing that's going to happen for the next 10 weeks is staying the same, same, same.

Of course, I could be wrong. Heh.

Sixty-six days until race day.

3 comments:

Vashta Narada said...

The good part of staying the same weight-wise is that you aren't gaining back everything you lost. And in the meantime you're training for the race and becoming healthier as you do. So that's a good thing!

Kia LaBracke said...

Debbi, you know that I'm swapping marketing services for personal training right now. No weight loss, even though I've been at it since October. I asked one of the trainers about it, in my most, "I really don't care about the number, but..." kind of ways, and he said, "All that counts is how your clothes fit."

So hats off to those loose pants!

Jack Sprat said...

I don't call training for a freakin' marathon "staying the same, same, same".... I call that AMAZING!!!!

-J