Monday, February 26, 2007

Eat a sandwich!

I love watching the Academy Awards. I always have, although I rarely see any of the nominated films. I love the glitz and glamour, the clips and speeches, the finery – I love the dresses. With all the doom-and-gloom that pervades the world and national news, day in and day out, we have so few total-escape events to revel in, and Oscar Night is the best.

But … you knew there was a but coming, didn't you? After a solid year of trying hard, hard, hard to lose enough weight to be on the high side of a normal BMI, I found myself wanting to make Cameron, Nicole and Reese [my favorite gown, by the way] sit down and eat a sandwich, for cryin' out loud! I don't read entertainment magazines, nor do I haunt the E! website, so the only time I see these women is in a role [rarely and usually on Pay-Per-View] or at the Academy Awards.

Three words: Painfully. Thin. Painfully.

And then there was Cinderella Jennifer. Move over, J-Lo, there's a new Jennifer in town. So poised, so beautiful, so real. Take that, Simon Cowell! I caught a little bit of her post-acceptance news conference, and she is one got-it-together girl, that's for sure.

I'd take her BMI any day.

I totally caved on exercising yesterday. I had every intention, just no energy. I worked on two knitting projects – the pink sweater I wrote about the other day and, since it did turn cold again, a felted bag. Felted things are cold-weather projects, in my opinion, anyway. I was totally sucked in by Gone With the Wind – I haven't watched the whole movie from beginning to end in years.

That's a lot of knitting time.

Today is an easy, three-mile run. The temperature is supposed to climb to 40 this afternoon; that's warm enough for an outdoor run as long as it's not pouring down rain.

Sixty-one days until race day.

5 comments:

Mary Christine said...

As I watched the "red carpet" pre-awards thing, I talked on the phone with a man I have dated on and off, and was so thrilled as he kept saying those women were too skinny! Yes! I knew there was a reason I liked that guy!

Grumpy Chair said...

I thought Jennifer looked good sans the weird silver alien bed jacket. My favorite dress was Helen Mirren's.

The sad thing is, the pressure to be thin sends many healthy looking woman into unhealthy BMIs. All it takes is an unflattering comment by Joan Rivers to send one over to starvation.

Carrie Underwood looked healthy when she won AI two years ago, and now she is very thin. . . so sad.

Jack Sprat said...

D: My partner is in the apparel biz (men's, fortunately for me!) but our house is chock-a-block with fashion magazines. I hate to say this, but on female models, the first thing I look at are their upper arms. When they are thin as match sticks, that's when I begin to suspect they are not healthy.

Although most of the adult women I know complain to me about their arms, Mother Nature has provided that there be a little heft up there. I understand wanting to reduce it, but I think the modelling world is subtly convincing women that they should have ZERO mass in their arms, which is silly (and scary).

As for Joan Rivers, she stopped being funny about ten years ago and now she merely frightens me, poor thing.

-J

Jennette Fulda said...

I think you are in better shape than me. Yesterday I ran for 3 miles for the first time ever and I wouldn't have called it easy!

Anne M. said...

I totally agree about the too-skinny people. It's scary - you can almost (or actually) see the bones through their tight beautiful designer dresses. Jennifer was such a joy to look at and watch - and to listen to, as well.