Tuesday, February 13, 2007

A splendid idea

Grumpy has a great idea: If a workout video or DVD has outlived its usefulness for you, pass it on to someone else who might be able to use it. So, in that spirit, I'll offer "Walk and Kick" from Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds Power Series.

I think I started using this DVD about a year ago, shortly after I started my eDiets plan. I recall that it was quite challenging and also quite effective. Meaning I worked up a sweat, despite the apparent simplicity of the routine.

So don't be shy! If you want it, send an e-mail with your name and address to shrinkingknitter AT citynet DOT net. Like Grumpy, if more than one person e-mails, I'll have a drawing.

So here's my list from yesterday again:
  • balance the checkbook
  • pay bills
  • make a shopping list
  • run four miles at a 14:01 pace
  • shower
  • dress for a trip to town
  • drive to that town – an hour away
  • go to the dentist
  • go to the grocery
  • go to a sporting good store [for new running shoes]
  • go to a bookstore
  • go to a couple of craft stores [made it to one]
  • go to Target
You can see that quite a few things got done. And I was exhausted when I got home at 5-ish. For once I was grateful for the freezing rain that had started falling on my way home. I called the prison at 5:30 to cancel – yet again – the drawing class and hunkered down for the night.

Of course, it turned out to be a non-weather event. I went to sleep early, about 7:30 I think, and fully expected to be iced in or have no power when I woke up. All it did was rain. More rain predicted for today. And tomorrow. No snow until later in the week, naturally, when I'd like to be, um, outside, running nine miles. I kind of dread doing that on the treadmill.

I have wonderful new New Balance shoes for the next run, recommended by a knowledgeable salesperson at a real sporting goods store. I think I would have to drive two hours to get to a runner's specialty store, but the young man who helped me seemed to have the same information and knowledge I did. For "ws" who commented yesterday, these shoes won't have to be broken in. They feel great right out of the box, and Mr. Helpful Salesperson said that's the way they're supposed to feel. Today's a rest day; no need to wear them on the rowing machine. Tomorrow is a speed drill, though, and I'm anxious to try them out.

If you're keeping track, you know that Tuesday is weigh-in day. I'm up two pounds. I think we can put the 1400- to 1500-calories-per-day experiment to rest. I was careful to make the additional calories count nutritionally – yogurt, couscous, low-fat cheese, that kind of thing. I'm still not eating sugar – two months today! – and I'm surprisingly not too discouraged. Sometimes experiments work out, most of the time they don't.

You: On a Diet came yesterday. I haven't had a chance to even crack the cover yet [although I've carefully gone through every page of both of the one-skein-project knitting books. Priorities, people, priorities!]. I do, however, have enough of the right type of food items in stock to start the YOAD program. Today.

3 comments:

Vickie said...

The only other thing that has occurred to me (and probably to you too - or maybe I have even shared this with you before - if that is the case - just ignore this) is to look at the percentages of what you eat.

Over all calories - like you do now - sure - then what percent of those calories are carbs, protein, fat.

My friend Helen has to keep her fat as low as possible to loose - we are not talking about high fat to low fat - we are talking low fat to lower fat.

I on the other hand - have to keep my carbs and protein - very, very, very even - still watch fat - but that balance between carbs and protein seems to be key for me.

I also seem to need to eat carbs and protein together - same amount, same time.

I had to actually increase protein to loose. Especially breakfast - where I was not consistently eating protein.

I know you track all your numbers - so it would be easy figure percentages (if you don't already).

Just a thought . . . as always - wish you well.

Grumpy Chair said...

I had a feeling you would have crossed off all or most of your to do list. But I was horrified to see you didn't make it to Target (my favorite store)!

I'm still waiting for that first email requesting my yoga dvd, I still have hopes someone will want it.

LME said...

I'm sorry that the higher calorie level didn't work out for you, but you and I are similar in our needing a lower calorie level to sustain loss (though I am no longer counting at all!). Whenever I see articles about that severely restricted calorie diet, that one that is supposed to slow the effects of aging, and the writer is always shocked! shocked! that the women on it are only eating 1500 calories a day (there was a story on this recently on slate.com), I think, well hells bells, I know plenty, plenty, plenty of women who don't eat anywhere near that regularly.

All this talk about new knitting/crocheting books has got me wanting to buy some new yarn and start a project!