Friday, November 03, 2006

I'm. So. Tired.

Most people welcome the switch from Daylight Savings Time back to whatever their standard time is. That extra hour of sleep on a weekend is a real treat. The Shrinking Knitter? Not so much. You see, one of my annual trips to visit my daughter and her family happens during that time, and I have to adjust to a different time zone anyway. So I end up going to bed when the grandchildren do, and waking up with the roosters.

Except they live in a subdivision that doesn't permit livestock. But you know what I mean.

My daughter insisted that we follow my menu plan, and we did, for the most part. There was a bit of Halloween candy here, and a wonderful, doughy, cloverleaf roll for lunch at a restaurant, but all in all I felt good about the kind and quantity of food I consumed.

My heel got lots of rest, and some good, concentrated stretching. I walked one evening and two mornings; my longest distance was about three miles. No running at all.

The best fitness activity, however, was a ballet class. I've had the NYCity Ballet DVD since last winter, and all I've done with it is listen to the opening music [the wonderful second movement of Beethoven's 7th Symphony]. I guess I've been kind of intimidated by it. Attending class with my daughter was definitely a Good Thing.

I didn't take ballet until my daughter did. She started when she was four, I think, and I took my first adult class when she was about eight or nine. Taking another class, lo these many years later, was both fun and challenging. I had forgotten a lot, but managed to catch up and get a decent workout. At least I felt some muscle soreness later that day and the next morning.

I've had a bit of a mental shift this week regarding my fitness plan. I'll still have to work in some kind of cardio activity, but my intention is to use yoga and dance DVDs as my main workout until the weather gets decent again. I'm usually a morning workout kinda gal, so the idea of waking up and heading out for a wintry walk isn't so appealing. The temperature right now, at 8 a.m.-ish, is only 44 – too cold for me!

But I can manage to waltz Рer, um, chass̩ Рover to the large office above our garage to pop in a DVD for an hour or so. Plenty of floor space, no mirrors and lots of privacy. That's my kind of dance class!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your new exercise plan. Are you sure you don't want to install a Bar (the ballet kind) at least?? Mirrors could come later!
N