Saturday, August 12, 2006

Getting back to normal

Well, the water seems to be clear and, um, water-colored again [as opposed to caramel-colored], the dogs have readjusted to being home from doggie camp, the laundry is all caught up and life is somewhat normal again.

Whatever that is.

I heard in an AA meeting once that normal is a setting on the washing machine that one rarely uses. Who wants to be normal?

Right now, I wouldn't mind a little bit of it.

First, for Marilyn, the full-length wedding outfit shot, in which Shrinking Knitter is sporting her best deer-in-the-headlights look:

Getting back in the groove after a trip – even a short one, and especially a momentous one – is proving to be difficult. I'm having trouble running. It was so-so-so easy to run in Las Vegas, with those long flat sidewalks and no humidity! Yes, it was hot, but here at home I feel like I'm walking in water. Out there I could start right out trotting and never even had to stop to catch my breath.

Here in the Middle of Nowhere? Not so much.

I was out for an hour Thursday and almost two yesterday, and I just can't seem to pick up the pace again.

As for weight training, I had increased the weights a couple weeks before I left, and was able to do two sets of 12 for each movement I do. Yesterday? One of 10 on two moves, and only two of 10 on the others.

So while I'm not starting over, thank goodness, I've sure taken a couple steps backward. It shouldn't take more than a week or two to reach my previous level, but I'm somewhat impatient about this. I like feeling strong, I enjoy running steadily. Even walking briskly feels like plodding along to me now.

Progress, not perfection. Right?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just enjoy getting back into your groove--maybe longer easier workouts or a new routine--whatever feels good.
Sometimes it is fun to dig out an exercise dvd you haven't seen in years or the old balance ball or whatever.
As long as you are moving, your body will be happy!

Jack Sprat said...

Debbi: You are without a doubt, the most beautiful bride I've ever seen. (And I can say that without fear since there were no 'brides' at MY wedding .. heh heh). You are truly a beautiful human being, inside and out!

The Vegas stories were wonderful, thanks!

-J