Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Amazon should have a look at my bookshelf

First, I would be completely remiss if I didn't thank everyone for their supportive comments yesterday. There is so much about blogging that rewards me, not the least of which is that it seems to reward you, as well. Thank you very much.

Now I want to share with you what Amazon.com sent me while I was sleeping:
Debbi [I just love how they get all chummy and use my first name, don't you?], Amazon.com has new recommendations for you based on items you purchased or told us you own.
  • The Knitting Experience: Book 3: Color (Knitting Experience series, The)
  • Bob Dylan - No Direction Home
  • The Knitting Answer Book: Solutions to Every Problem You'll Ever Face; Answers to Every Question You'll Ever Ask
  • Weekend Knitting: 50 Unique Projects and Ideas
  • The Art of Fair Isle Knitting: History, Technique, Color & Patterns
  • Stitch 'N Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker
Along with each recommendation came a list of previously purchased books, their rationale for why they think I should plunk down more money to acquire the items on this list.

Ahem. The only item I don't already have and don't want is the last one. I know enough about crocheting to do what's necessary to support my knitting, i.e., I can crochet a chain for a provisional cast-on and I can crochet an edge around a neckline or armhole. I don't need another fiber hobby. [Besides, spinning is the next "I want to learn to …" item on my list.] I don't need another hobby of any kind, actually!

The Bob Dylan No Direction Home is a DVD, and was a gift from a dear friend who makes fun of Dylan's voice but not of me for being a fan. [My daughter shares this wonderful quality; a couple years ago she surprised me with concert tickets for just the two of us, although she doesn't own a single CD of his music.]

The other books on the recommendation list were ordered from – you guessed it – Amazon! They should keep better records. I'm not going to spend even one precious moment letting them know they're preaching to the choir, though. Their little computers worked overtime to generate that list, I'm sure. They can probably use the extra pay.

Okay, back to fitness: Today will be challenging. It's raining, and we desperately need the rain, but that means I'll be working out on the treadmill. This will be my first treadmill run since April, I think. I love being outside, but I know there will be times when it's not possible, especially when winter hits.

I walked outside yesterday for about 30 minutes in the rain, and it wasn't much fun. Also did 20 minutes on the rower, which was enough for the first time in for-freaking-ever. I'll try for 60 on the treadmill and 20 on the rower today, with a weight-training session, as well.

As with most exercise, it's mind over matter. I have this idea that treadmill-walking is extremely boring, but I've been saving a new Podrunner mix just for this occasion. At least I'll have something new to listen to.

There was a time when I thought walking two miles outside was beyond my reach, too. Now I'm running. Up. Hills. For six, seven and sometimes eight miles a day. [For the record, since May 1, when I started tracking my mileage, I've walked or run more than 500 miles – about 30 miles a week.]

Sixty minutes on the treadmill should be a piece of cake fruit!

1 comment:

Jennette Fulda said...

Somtimes that Amazon.com recommendation list can be embarassing if you've been searching for stuff you'd, um, rather other people didn't know about, and then your brother uses the computer when you're still logged in. Then you just have to blame it on Amazon and say their alogorithms must be really screwy :)