Monday, December 31, 2007

You know what they say about good intentions …

My resolve to eat healthfully and run while I was gone over the weekend evaporated inexplicably and rapidly the farther I got from West Virginia. I refuse to try to analyze it.

It is what it is. Or was what it was, I guess.

I had a wonderful and relaxing time while I was gone. The sum of my physical activity consisted of holding and carrying a 16-pound baby at every opportunity.

Well, okay, a little analysis. Even though I ate fast food [twice!], a burger-and-fries lunch at Montana Grill and Chinese Saturday night, my weight is the same this morning as it was Friday morning before I left. Surprise!

On the way out of town I stopped to buy Yet Another Pair of Running Shoes. I've run so little over the past two weeks that the callus that usually burns a hole in the ball of my right foot is nearly gone. I still get a little pin prick of pain with the two pairs of New Balance shoes I've bought this year, though, so I'm trying a pair of Brooks. I can return them within 90 days if they're not obviously worn, meaning the tryout will be on the treadmill.

My gift from my son was a DVD he produced of the video and stills he took at the City of Oaks race in November. I've never seen video of myself running.

I totally suck.

I'm more of a shuffler than a runner, so I definitely have some work to do improving my form. I wish the video evidence matched the mental picture I have of myself when I'm out there on the road. In my mind I look like the people in the Nike commercials – you know, the ones whose feet barely touch the ground. I guess it's better to have a positive image than a negative one, though.

The knitted ball dodecahedron was a big hit with both the baby and her parents, as were the tiny felted clogs. I started a hooded pullover for myself before I left and got quite a bit done on it when the baby was sleeping. Otherwise, my hands and arms were otherwise – and happily – occupied.

Hope your New Year's Eve is a happy one.

5 comments:

barbhap said...

I'm so glad you had a wonderful time. You did get some weight training though... 16 pounds at a time.
I hope I never see a video of me playing tennis... I would probably go into deep deptression. I think I look like the pros. Let's keep the positive image!
Happy New Year!

Laura N said...

Hey, at least your discretion was just a weekend. Mine's been 3 weeks long.

I love my Brooks. I've had NB too, and they were fine, but Brooks fit my feet better. Hope you like yours.

Okay, erase the DVD evidence and just go back to your imagination's idea of You as a Runner. Erased yet? Got that Nike Runner back in there? Ah, that's better now.

Have a happy new year!

Anonymous said...

I switched from NB to Brooks Radius a year ago and have never looked back. I have high arches and needed a softer shoe than NB (and I was a hard core NB fan) -- I really love them. They were Rxed by a physical therapist friend of mine who owns a running shop (in Greensboro NC if you ever get down that way, we go through WV on our way there and back from Kentucky.

Lori G. said...

Happy New Year to you too!

A weekend is not that bad and it sounds like it was a relaxing and enjoyable time. I hope the running shoes work out for you. Brooks are a good brand.

Grumpy Chair said...

Sounds like you had a great visit.

I laughed out loud at your comment about what you look like running. When I'm walking fast or jogging slowly on the treadmill I think I shuffle too because the treadmill will occasionally make a weird noise on the belt. Then again, it could be just groaning in agony because a fat lady is running on it.

Looking forward to your inspiring post in 2008.