Thursday, December 13, 2007

I'm not there [yet]*

Before I go any further – heck, before I even begin! – I'd like to encourage you to go read Erin's post from yesterday, if you haven't already. I guess if you have, you could read it again.

While I don't ever think I've wanted to dive into a plate of cheese fries – no offense if you love cheese fries, that's just not my thing – I have, occasionally, entertained the strange and enticing idea of living as if I was already where I wanted to be.

I think that's the same as accepting myself just the way I am.

In my past brushes with therapy and psychology and stuff, I've run into the theory that until one accepts what is, one cannot move on to what is to be.

Is that the same as what Yoda said? 'Do or do not. There is no try.'

Smart little guy, that Yoda.

I must admit that while in theory I believe that weight-training will maintain my bone density and running is good for my cardiovascular system, I still huff and puff and lift and grunt because I want to lose weight. I have a long way to go before self-acceptance kicks in.

But … I've been there before. I remember feeling perfectly okay with an imperfect body for at least one other extended period of my life, and at the same time enjoying exercise simply for the sake of moving and breathing and pushing myself.

I'd rather not think of all this as something else to 'work on.' I'd like to just do.

Don't forget to enter the contest for Gary Taubes' book – details at the end of this post. Don't be shy! Everyone wants to win something at least once in their life, right? This is your big chance; I don't think your odds could possibly be any better. Heh.

*This title also
is a reference to the title of Todd Haynes' recently released film about Bob Dylan and which is coming soon to a theatre sort of near me! I'm kinda busy this weekend, but hope to get away next Saturday to see it.

3 comments:

Laura N said...

Great post, Debbi. Lots to think about. Hope it's a good day for you.

Mary Gee said...

I have a co-worker who says that yoda thing every time I say "I'm trying." or "I'll try."
It's a good one.

Anne M. said...

Yoda is indeed a wise one, strong in the force. "Living as if I was already where I wanted to be" sums things up in a blindingly clear way. Thanks, Debbi. You're pretty wise yourself.