Saturday, December 08, 2007

DNF > DNS

If you're an athlete of almost any kind, and especially if you're a runner, you know that DNF > DNS means "did not finish" is better than "did not start."

That would be me, for the inaugural 8 on the 8th.

Maybe I should just declare myself on injured reserve. Because of my shoulder, I can't swing my arms as one naturally does when one runs. I'm so very out of shape and unconditioned at this point that it was very discouraging to have to stop after 2.75 treadmill miles.

Had the weather been better, I may have been able to at least walk eight miles. I would have gone to the four-mile-long road and would have had no choice but to turn around and walk back once I got to the end of it. It's just too easy to get off the treadmill.

Anyway, I tried.

Congratulations to all the finishers!

3 comments:

Mary Gee said...

You got .75 farther than I did! But we at least tried :)

Laura N said...

2.75 miles with an injury is definitely something to be proud of, even if you're not happy about it. I can't imagine running without being able to swing my arms fully. And yeah, walking 8 miles on the treadmill would be torture. I'll run faster just to get the darn run over with when I'm on the TM. (BTW, I'm a DNF too. Only 7 miles for me.)

Hope you enjoy your weekend.

Lori G. said...

It's okay, Debbi, you do need all of your body to run. You need your arms to balance you out. It's just probably more frustrating when it's not a leg or foot injury to you. (And I'm glad you didn't have that!) You did 2.75 with a bad injury. You were there, you showed up and you tried your best. In other words, you did great.