Friday, December 21, 2007

Friday Quote Day

"The truth is you can acquire
any quality you want

by acting as though you already have it."


~ Joseph Murphy


Act as if. If you've ever spent any time in a 12-step recovery group, you've heard those words before. Perhaps you've even done it.

It's much harder for me to apply this concept to my physical self – acting as if I'm slim, for instance – than it is for me to apply it to my emotional self.

And that's a good thing, really. I've practiced being emotionally present for years and I finally feel – most of the time – as though I live in the now, not wishing things could have gone differently or hoping things will be better. Accepting what is, embracing it and enjoying it is a much saner way to live than having one foot in yesterday and the other in tomorrow.

The one area that still is difficult is, of course, my weight. I'm healthy and fit. I just don't look like I used to 10 years ago, or like I want to, in some magical, far-off day when I've dropped the weight I've been holding on to for such a very long, exhausting time now.

It's been almost two years since I started this blog, and I started it to reclaim the fit, healthy body I once had. It says so right up there in the header. Maybe I should restate the purpose. I am fit and I am healthy, according to all the blood tests and lab results. I just don't look it. But it sounds too vain to say I want to reclaim my size-8 body.

That's what I want, though. And so I will carry myself as if I don't take up quite as much space as I do. I'll move as if certain body parts don't get in my way. I'll think thin, or at least thinner, and see where that takes me.

On another note, yesterday marked the end of an era for Mr. Shrinking Knitter's family. Until Thursday noon, for the past 118 years, someone in his family has practiced medicine. He began his career more than 38 years ago. He's a psychiatrist, and both his first and last patients were depressed, middle-aged women. He found that rather ironic.

I find it rather ironic that he lives with one. But that's a whole 'nother post.

3 comments:

Grumpy Chair said...

Happy Retirement to Mr. Shrinking Knitter.

I like the thought of "thinking thin".

mehitabel said...

I'm betting that, even though he won't be actively practicing any more, he'll still be active at something! I can't imagine either of you just sitting there.
Your quote today really hit home. It made me realize that I've been stuck in so many ways, and that just maybe acting "as if" will help me get moving in the right direction. Now, where's my compass?

Lori G. said...

Congratulations to Dr. SK on his retirement! Maybe he just has a good knack with middle-aged women? ;-)

Act as if. It's hard but it might be the solution to the fat-headed thinking that I have.

What's interesting is that how I'm doing is related to how I usually see myself. Doing well--I feel like I look well. Doing badly--gee, don't I look fat?

BTW, I've been on a date date too. They're really tasty!