Thursday, December 06, 2007

Winter came yesterday

Snow started falling yesterday about 7 a.m. and didn't quit until late afternoon. It started snowing again around 7 p.m., but the second round really didn't add much to the four inches which had accumulated during the day. A lightweight car [mine's an older model], a mountain road and four inches of snow meant I was, as I predicted, snowed in.

And winter continues to wrap its icy fingers around us this morning; the current temperature is just 13°. That short walk from the house to the garage is going to seem mighty long when I go out for today's treadmill workout.

Fortunately, it won't last. Isn't that the best thing about the weather? Wait a couple of days and it'll change.

If I do the 8 on the 8th race [which I signed up for], it will most likely be on the treadmill. When I was still able to run outside comfortably, I couldn't stand even the thought of getting on a machine to pump up my heart rate. Now, while I'm not thrilled about it, it's at least tolerable and I've steadily increased my speed each time. I'm not up to my outdoor pace yet, but part of that is my shoulder.

Yes, it still hurts and it's still in a sling and I took the last anti-inflammatory this morning. One more muscle relaxant and I'll be on my own. Perhaps that's a good thing; when the pain is masked, I do tend to use that arm more, which may be preventing further healing.


I used it yesterday – making sure my elbow was supported – to start and finish a sweet little earflap cap for one of my granddaughters. She and her parents will be in Ohio over Christmas, so she needs a warm hat, right? The well-written pattern didn't specify adding the little braids, but I couldn't help myself. I also did an I-cord edging all the way around it to neaten it up a bit. Even if she never wears it, I had fun making it.

Now it's back to the pale pink sweater for me. I doubt if I get it finished in time to wear it to Christmas Eve services, but I might. That's the goal, anyway. Two sleeves in 19 days. Can she do it?

3 comments:

LME said...

Two sleeves in 19 days? Of course she can do it.

I'm at a loss as to what to get my FIL for Christmas, and I'm thinking I may be taking a trip to the yarn store this weekend and knitting up the fastest pair of wool boot socks I've ever done in my life.

Lori G. said...

Hmmm, I prefer to think of it was winter flipping a finger at us when it snows or it's icy.

What a beautiful hat. It's absolutely gorgeous and sweet! I bet you are happy for a lot of reasons to have a little baby to knit cute little hats for but having your own model is up there!

Mich said...

I love that hat. Reminds me of the cool Jayne Cobb had from Firefly. This is going to sound like a stupid question but here goes: if one is a total beginner, how long until one can make a cap like that one?

--Mich
p.s. I've moved to maspikteruzim.wordpress.com