Sunday, July 01, 2007

Michael Moore's Sicko

Lynette got to see it last night; read her review here.

Not a single theatre in West Virginia is screening it. Not even the state capital. The closest place for me is Raleigh, NC – four hours, one way.

Mr. Shrinking Knitter and I watched Larry King's interview with Moore Friday night. While we didn't need convincing that something needs to be done about health care in America, it was affirming to know that we're working for something that really, truly could and should happen. Visit Physicians for a National Health Program to see how you can help, too.

One thing Moore said that really struck me is that we don't have to wholly adopt another country's plan. We can pick the two good things from Canada's plan and the two good things from France's, etc., and come up with a way to make it work, learning from others' experiences.

The other thing I gleaned from the program – it wasn't emphasized, although it was mentioned – is that we must do something meaningful about campaign finance reform. As long as the health-care industry is padding politicians' pockets, we won't see any change. Period.

In the past three or four years I've gotten bolder about contacting my elected representatives and letting them know how I feel. I don't always agree with their views, but I think their views should reflect those of their constituents, and since I am one, I call, write, e-mail and speak to them in person whenever I can. I also watch their votes and have learned that my voice really does make a difference.

So can yours. Speak up!

I may not be posting much until the end of the week ... I'm going to try to find some time today to take a first-of-the-month "before" photo, but even that may need to wait until our guests leave on Thursday. I could have planned to really get on this bandwagon the first of August, but I'd be wasting three good weeks – and this first, potentially good week, of July – all in the name of starting fresh on the first. Starting fresh can happen any day.

No comments: