Thursday, April 13, 2006

Getting back in the groove

My wee getaway has taken a slight toll on my desire and ability to blog. Actually the state of my yard and house are the real culprits. Here in the Middle of Nowhere it is most definitely grass-cutting season. My mower had been in the shop getting the oil changed and blade sharpened, but was here waiting for me when I got home. With a 5.5-mile walk in the morning, three acres of mowing and weed-whacking and a very shaggy dog to clip, the blog came in last place on my priority list yesterday. Actually, as all both of you know, it didn't even finish!

At any rate, the only thing on today's agenda is the floor and a trip to Sam's Club. I went to bed very early last night. Meaning I woke up very early this morning. So I should have plenty o' time to accomplish the tasks before me today.

One of my regular knitblog reads offers this for entertainment: Search Wikipedia for your birthday [sans year] and list three events, three births and three deaths from that day. I'm amazed at all the cool things that have happened on May 25. Here you go:

Events
  • 1925 - John T. Scopes is indicted for teaching Darwin's theory of evolution.
  • 1935 - Babe Ruth hits his 714th and last home run at Forbes Field in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, setting a baseball record that will stand for 39 years.
  • 1961 - Apollo program: U.S. president John F. Kennedy announces before a special joint session of Congress his goal to initiate a project to put a "man on the moon" before the end of the decade.
Births
  • 1803 - Ralph Waldo Emerson, American essayist and philosopher (d. 1882)
  • 1926 - Miles Davis, American jazz trumpeter (d. 1991)
  • 1963 - Mike Myers, Canadian actor and comedian
Deaths
  • 1085 - Pope Gregory VII
  • 1261 - Pope Alexander IV
  • 1951 - Paula von Preradovic, Croatian-born writer (b. 1887)
I managed to get some knitting done while I was gone. The back of the Prosperous Plum Pullover is finished and I think the body of the FLAK is a couple inches longer. It's hard to tell, because the body is the endlessssss part. I'll try to get photos up tomorrow.

I didn't feel like eating yesterday. I suppose because I was so busy I just didn't think about it much. But when I finally came in and settled down to relax for a bit, all I wanted for dinner was Triscuits and cheese. Yesterday's total calorie count was 821 – not all Triscuits and cheese, of course! I hope I can get back on track today. My daughter spoiled me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Who knew the Magna Carta was signed on my birthday :). And I knew that Wade Boggs (the baseball player) was born on my exact birthday, but I didn't know that Eric Heiiden (the speed skater) was as well.

Thanks for the great idea!