Friday, March 02, 2007

Friday Quote Day

The important thing is this:
to be able at any moment
to sacrifice what we are
for what we could become.

~ Charles Du Bos

Now there's a deep thought for ya.

I wish I'd had today's quote in my head yesterday. I was supposed to have done one of those "easy" three-mile runs. All I did was walk to the post office and back, which is about half that distance. I guess I was still pretty wiped out from Wednesday. But I had the time and I could have talked myself into it, if I'd been in a more sacrificial frame of mind. I was feeling more indulgent and, frankly, lazy than anything else.

So I think I'll swap today [a rest day] for yesterday, but not try to break any records. Because Saturday will be the longest distance I'll have run so far, if I make it the entire nine miles. These training wizards seem to think tacking another whole mile onto a previous distance is not a great big deal. And I'm not sure what the science is by throwing that easy week in there. Last Saturday? Four miles. Tomorrow? Four-plus-five!

But I want to become someone who not only crosses the starting line, but also crosses the finish line. I have a whole day to change my attitude about running nine miles.

I'll think about it today, when I'm running three. Heh.

Fifty-seven days until race day.

1 comment:

ws said...

The light week is considered a step-back week and it is supposed to help you recover from the previous weeks of increasing mileage, though I'm not sure I buy that theory. Also, on your longest runs, try mixing in some walking intervals - i.e. run 5 minutes, walk 1 minute. If you start this technique early in your run (even with the first mile) you'll notice the benefits at the end. Good Luck on your long run! -Wendy