Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Nightmare in the Middle of Nowhere

Mr. Shrinking Knitter and I are having an afternoon reception at his mother's large, elegant home on Saturday to celebrate our recent nuptials, but since he works and I lounge around the house eating bon-bons all day don't, most of the planning for said party has been left up to me. I woke up around 2:30 this morning, panicked at the thought that today was Friday and I hadn't done anything and how was I going to manage?

Thank God it's Tuesday.

My schedule this week looks like this [starting with Sunday, so I can cross some things off]:
  • Sunday: Mow, trim weeds, sweep garage
  • Monday: Vacuum, dust, mop, clean sliding glass doors, change linens, take out trash
  • Tuesday: Haircut, manicure, last-minute shopping
  • Wednesday: Decorate mother-in-law's house, finish making party favors
  • Thursday: Begin food prep, damp-mop floors, transport plates/cups/utensils
  • Friday: Continue food prep, pick up flowers and fruit
  • Saturday: Transport food, enjoy party, go out for dinner
  • Sunday: Collapse in a heap of gratitude that everything went well
At least that's how I hope it all works out!

You'll note that not everything got done yesterday. I recently started following the Flylady plan again. Sort of. She does her 'house blessing' every Monday in 70 minutes, 10 minutes for each task. [I left out 'purge magazines,' because I do that regularly anyway.] It takes me an hour just to dust mop and damp-mop my floors, and I live in a three-bedroom, two-bath, ranch-style home. She must live in a dollhouse! And she certainly doesn't have dogs.

Does she?

Anyway, it's raining this morning here, meaning the workout will be inside. [Oh, yes, I'm also working out every morning this week.] Today will be weight-training, the rowing machine and the treadmill, for a total of 80 minutes. At least that's what I'm shooting for. I've also tried to keep the evenings relatively free of tasks, because I need to relax, wind down and recharge to get ready for the next day. Oh, and I need to knit, too, which I will do tonight while watching House and Nip/Tuck, and tomorrow while watching the season premiere of The Biggest Loser. [The baby-boy sweater is almost finished – just one and a half sleeves and the sewing up to go.]

I'd never watched TBL until last January, when I started this year-long weight-loss program. I thought it might provide some extra motivation, and I have to say it delivered. I hope this season will do so, as well. It comes at the perfect Debbi-needs-motivation time. Anxiety-producing last-minute stuff is a given when you throw a party, unless you're Martha Stewart and have a staff to take care of the details. I've been known to make poor food choices when I'm teetering on the edge of emotional.

Seriously!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminder about TBL - I stumbled on it awhile ago and found it powerfully interesting, plus I have a tiny TV crush on Bob.

I think it's a great example of what happens if you devote yourself to weight loss - if you make it a priority, the weight will come off. For me though, when I was losing I always felt that my brain was tuned to the weight loss channel; I watched a Margaret Cho comedy special where she mentioned that staying ten pounds thinner so she could work on her TV series was a full-time job. *That* mirrored how I felt exactly.

Today, the biggest struggle for me is not losing the weight, because I know I can do it, but managing the process so I don't spend unreasonable amounts of time "tuned to the weight loss channel" rather than enjoying what I eat and being healthy.

Have a great time at your reception - my advice is to get as much rest as you can between now and the party, and, ironically, have a little snack before you go so you're not super-famished while you're standing around talking to friends.

Jennette Fulda said...

When you knit, how much do you have to look at your hands? When I crochet and watch TV I like to watch shows that are ok but not so great that I feel the need to watch every second because I need to look at what I'm doing and check the pattern a lot. Law & Order was great for this when I had cable because it's always on some channel somewhere.