Monday, May 22, 2006

Making steady progress

Two more pounds gone! That's a total of 27 since January 1, an average of 1.35 pounds per week. I've also lost another 3.5 inches, for a total of 9.5 since February 27, when I started taking measurements. This week's stats:
  • Minutes of intentional exercise per day = 105
  • Calories burned per day = 628
  • Calorie intake per day = 1278
The activity level is nearly identical to last week's, but the calories are up by a couple hundred, and are more in line with the eDiet recommendations for my current weight and activity level. [Actually, my eDiets profile needs updated; I don't think my activity level qualifies as "light" any more.]

When I checked my weight this morning, the scale told me three different numbers. I took the highest one, only because it should be easier to actually lose another pound this week if I'm teetering on the edge. I'll be gone this weekend [blog break alert!], but will be able to stick pretty close to the plan while I'm away. Only one more pound to reach my goal of losing 28 by the end of May. Think I'll make it?

My biggest challenge continues to be lifting weights three times a week. This week I managed it twice. Knowing the benefits doesn't necessarily equal doing the work, and I'm not sure what I need to do to make it happen. Yesterday I did the weight routine before I walked, and I'm going to try that again this week. Since I don't like weight training, I think waiting until after the walk makes it seem more like a punishment. Getting it over with first thing might work.

I need to Just Do It, without analyzing or thinking or dithering about it. It just needs to go into the routine in a matter-of-fact way.

A knitting update: I finished the back and started the front of the Krista Tee. No additional progress has been made on the felted fish, and I need to get that done and make another one before I see the grandchildren again. The fish and turtles are two- or three-color projects. I think I'm more of a one-color project person, although I have a wonderful collection of Fair Isle books and patterns for temptation.

This is the newest addition to my list of one-color projects for next winter.

The nicest-looking Fair Isles, in my opinion, are those done on small needles – size 2 or 3 US – with fine-gauge wool. That's a daunting task when you're looking at making an extra-large sized sweater. A medium, though? Not so much. This might be the winter for a Fair Isle pour moi.

I have hope ...

2 comments:

Laura Bora from Bufadora said...

I'm the opposite of you -- I love lifting weights and have to play mind games with myself to get myself on the treadmill -- the best thing has been getting myself some headphones to watch the TV that's attached to the treadmill at the gym so I can watch true crime documentaries on A&E. :)

Your knitting projects are AWESOME!!! My great-grandmother attempted to teach me how to crochet when I was a little girl and I barely remember anything. Knitting seems so much HARDER but the results are dynamite!

Debbi said...

The thing that keeps me running is the Shuffle; don't know how I'd manage without it. Weight training in a gym is much easier for me than in my garage, but the nearest gym is 25 miles away. I tried it for a while, but I couldn't justify a 50-mile round-trip to work out when I have adequate equipment at home.

Knitting's not hard -- you only have to learn six things: cast on, cast off, knit, purl, increase and decrease. You have a great yarn shop near you called The Village Sheep, and they offer classes. It's a great way to keep your hands busy and productive.