Tuesday, May 09, 2006

How I handle staying the same

Mostly I whoop for joy, since it means I haven't lost any ground!

I also take a minute to look over my progress, realizing that a week or two of little progress usually follows one where I've had a big loss, and that's what's happened this week.

And I get back on the horse, so to speak. I walked yesterday morning, as usual, and even added a mile to my usual route. That extra bit of terrain includes another steep hill and a couple of barking beagles, so it's not an easy thing for me to do psychologically. Physically it's not a problem, though.

I've sampled quite a few weight-loss/fitness blogs since the beginning of the year. One thing I don't want to do here is become negative. I also don't want to make excuses or whine. At the same time, I don't want to be a Pollyanna about this, all sweetness and light. Rather, I just want to be matter-of-fact and practical and sensible. You know ... grown up! When I started this project I knew it would probably take a year to get where I want to be. It takes daily vigilance – no slacking!

Speaking of projects, do you remember the one I couldn't tell you about until the gift had been delivered? It arrived; now I can talk about it.

My son is a newspaper reporter and had mentioned a few months ago that he'd like a CD of newspaper songs. There is no handy-dandy list out there, so Google, iTunes and I found enough to fill two CDs. I had such fun putting it all together, deciding how to arrange them on their respective discs [one disc is blues/jazz, the other is rock/alternative], and especially designing the graphics.

He seemed pretty impressed. I've been thinking of other categories to create one-of-a-kind gifts. The Spousal Equivalent's son is in finance, so a collection of money songs would be appropriate. And the SE is a psychiatrist. Here's what Wikipedia had to offer on that subject!

No comments: