Thursday, May 25, 2006

Birthday bonus!

I just got back from the first part of my morning walk, which was the four-mile loop. [I still have to do the 1.2-mile post office loop, but I have to wait until they open again after lunch.] Anyway, toward the end of the second mile is the killer hill that I've been trying to run all the way up. Here's what I wrote about it just one week ago today:
I have to scale one long, steep, curving hill just before my two-mile turnaround. When I first moved here [and was in terrific condition], I could run up that hill and still be able to breathe normally. When I'm in a running mood [not yesterday!], I challenge myself by adding a few more running steps each time. Eventually, I'll be able to get to the crest without stopping.

Yesterday as I was trudging up it, reserving my energy because I did, after all, have about six more miles to go, I realized I won't be able to run up that hill until I lose a lot more weight. I'm simply asking my body to do too much.
Well, I did it! In fact, I ran [okay, jogged] three out of the four miles. Guess how long it took? Go ahead … guess. I'll wait.

Fifty-five minutes.

I went back [in the car] and took pictures; here's what it looks like to me. Each of the three parts is a separate curve:

The song that started playing as I started up the hill was "Whip It," by Devo. I pity the fool who doesn't have this song on his or her playlist. And if you don't have it, then go here and grab it, with my compliments.

"WHIP IT"
Devo
Crack that whip
Give the past the slip
Step on a crack
Break your mommas back
When a problem comes along
You must whip it
Before the cream sits out too long
You must whip it
When somethings going wrong
You must whip it

Now whip it
Into shape
Shape it up
Get straight
Go forward
Move ahead
Try to detect it
Its not too late
To whip it
Whip it good

Now is that not The Most Perfect song to hear when you're trying really, really hard to accomplish something? I used to play it every morning when I was first divorced and had two young children and we were all trying to get ready to leave the house and get where we needed to on time. And since we didn't have a car, we all had to build walking-to-our-destination time into our morning routine.

Next up was this one. I've only put a few of the beginning lines here, because they're the most relevant. But it's such an upbeat, bouncy tune, perfect for a little hill-jogging celebration.

"Hand In My Pocket"
Alanis Morissette
I'm broke but I'm happy
I'm poor but I'm kind
I'm short but I'm healthy, yeah
I'm high but I'm grounded
I'm sane but I'm overwhelmed
I'm lost but I'm hopeful baby
What it all comes down to
Is that everything's gonna be fine fine fine
I've got one hand in my pocket
And the other one is giving a high five
I feel drunk but I'm sober
I'm young and I'm underpaid …

The only reason I left that last line is because of my last name. I'm not underpaid, not by any means. That's mostly because I'm not working. [Although Young at Heart Design Services is expecting a Big Job today. It was due May 1, so I'll definitely be overworked to make it by the client's deadline!]

Finally, I heard this one, which doesn't pop up on the Shuffle very often, but it felt good to listen to such a cheesy song when I was feeling so good about the hill.

"MAKIN' IT"
David Naughton
Makin' it, oo makin' it

I'm solid gold
I've got the goods
They stand when I walk
Through the neighborhoods

I'm makin' it
I've got the chance, I'm takin' it
No more, no more, Fakin' it
This time in life, I'm makin' it (ooo)

Makin' it

Hello uptown, Goodbye poverty
The top of the ladder is waiting for me

I'm makin' it,
I've got the chance, I'm takin' it
No more, no more fakin' it
This time in life, I'm makin' it (ooo)
Makin' it, makin' it

Listen everyone here
This coming year's gonna be my year
I'm as bad as they come
Number two to no one
I've got looks, I've got brains
And I'm breakin' these chains
Make some room now
dig what you see
Success is mine
'Cause I've got the key
I'm makin' it
(repeat chorus)

Okay. No more posts today. Two's plenty and I've other things on the agenda besides playing with the blog all day. Thank you for all your wonderful birthday wishes! You've made my day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay, Debbi! Congratulations on your running! That's a pretty good average of about 13:45 minute mile for a run/walk, especially when you throw some hills into the mix. Running is what got me started on regular exercise and I still love it. It's the one thing I compete with myself doing. I can always shave a few seconds off of a run when I'm in competition mode.

Good for you!