Thursday, January 12, 2006

Losing for geezers

Confession time. I watched The Biggest Loser last night.

The only "reality" television I've ever watched is the first two episodes of The Apprentice: Martha Stewart. And that's only because I talked to her up close and personal almost every Monday night when she was at Alderson. But two episodes were enough – I guess I just don't care for the genre.

But I'd heard from someone, or read somewhere, that TBL (hmm, as a knitter that looks like "through the back loop" to me) was inspiring. I wasn't sleepy at 9 p.m. and nothing else looked appealing so I gave it a try.

One thing that bugged me (and the same thing bugged me about TA:MS) is how those contestants can be so "out there" with the cameras rolling. The cameraman must have some seriously long lenses. Maybe the type of person chosen for reality TV just likes being vulnerable in front of 20 million viewers. (I made that up; I have no idea the size of the audience.)

So last night was a competition between two engaged couples. I have to say that by the end of the hour I was rooting for one of the couples, and they did end up losing the greater percentage of weight. So they get a romantic honeymoon at a couples resort. After two weeks of boot camp, they're sent home to continue working out and dieting on their own. They'll come back after several months and whoever loses the most wins a $50,000 dream wedding.

Now that's some incentive.

I'll probably tune in for Part II, to see if Steve and Sarah are able to follow through.

Was it inspiring? I think it was. One thing is for sure, I did not snack while I was watching! And I'll be working more with weights, as I know that's definitely something I need to do to increase the efficiency of my non-existent metabolism. I didn't really relate to any of the four competitors – they were all in their early 20s and they were all about getting thin for the wedding.

What happens after that? If they're like I was after I lost weight, they'll start adding this and that, cutting back on workouts and they'll end up on The Biggest Geezer Loser.

Which is a show that would really inspire me.

Knitting update: Finished the body and sleeves of the pullover, and have started the neck ribbing. I'm doing a hood on this one, and will get a good start on that today, I think.

After I work out.

No comments: