Sunday, July 09, 2006

Now it's time to get serious

Okay, we've had our fun – Greta, I haven't been to a county fair in years. The last fair I went to was the Ohio State Fair [or is that THE Ohio State Fair?] probably 30 years ago. I used to love going to the local county fair when I was a kid. And Loretta, I'm so grateful for your further analysis of my drivel yesterday. You're right on: I love the project part of any endeavor, but then the excitement wears off and it's just another job to do.

Those of you who pay attention to such things will notice that I've added another link to the general links in the sidebar. My daughter-in-law mentioned it to me a month or so ago, and I've been reading about this nice young man who lives in North Carolina ever since.

He's about the age of my two grown children, is married and has a little girl. Oh, and cancer. He has cancer. Some kind of unpronounceable lung cancer that apparently attacks non-smokers. I've never met him, but I know his college roommate, who lives down the street from my son and daughter-in-law.

His story is really getting to me. My little weight-loss issue seems vain and petty compared to battling cancer, but I think Bo would be just as much a cheerleader for me as I am for him.

He seems centered, focused, determined and optimistic as he tells his story. He's doing everything he can, all the right things: changing his diet, increasng his activity, appreciating life, asking for help.

Everything we should all be doing anyway, right?

So I'm putting his link there, and hope you'll get to know him. If you pray, I hope you'll add him and his doctors to your list, as I have to mine. I know he'd appreciate it.

3 comments:

lazylol said...

Thanks for the link.

What an inspiring guy he is. I am going to read his blog. You are right though - it does make our diet struggles seem pretty dumb!

mehitabel said...

Okay, that's too eerie--my husband fought a good fight against his lung cancer, lived over two years after he was diagnosed at Stage Four, and with diabetes too. I don't know if I can read Bo's blog too much, but I will try to send him an encouraging note. Just have to figure out how to word it...

Anonymous said...

I just did the Hussman calculation. It was an eye opener, and it made me want to track my "energetic" workouts more carefully and re think what I am eating.
Thank you for the link