Monday, June 04, 2007

Breaktime's over

It's always good to get away for a little while. And then it's good to get home, too!

I had a wonderful time at my daughter's, including three parties [with fabulous food], Shrek the Third [very funny and very sweet], my granddaughter's dance recital, listening to my grandson read to me [it's always a thrill learning that a child loves to read], long walks every morning and a trip to Nashville's oldest running store, the Athlete's House. [I was professionally fitted and bought a pair of New Balance 857s, two pairs of shorts, a very lightweight t-shirt and a pair of socks. And I still haven't found any Sockguy socks. I could order online, but I loathe paying five bucks to ship a pair of socks!]

My daughter is a good four inches taller than I and I think all four inches are in her legs. In addition, she has a lengthy stride and sets a determined pace. My jog pace was only slightly faster than her walk, and I learned just what vigorous walking is supposed to feel like.

It's not at all the same as ambling. Or strolling. Vigorous walking is every bit as calorie-burning as jogging.

The trip home seemed very long and was definitely very tiring. It rained the last two hours and I actually had to stop for a short catnap at one point. I didn't think I could stay awake.

Obviously, I did, and made it all the way back to the Middle of Nowhere. I miss living in a city whenever I visit one. I miss being able to pop out to a Starbuck's or browse through the sale racks at Target. I miss bookstores and nice restaurants. Mr. Shrinking Knitter asked where I wanted to go later this summer to celebrate our anniversary and I said Columbus, Ohio, sounded good to me.

Now, most people wouldn't pick "Cowtown, USA" for a celebration destination, but we met there and have friends and family there and will most certainly enjoy ourselves there.

I have much to do after being gone for a week. Today it's all-laundry, all-the-time, with probably some yardwork thrown in. And while the first load's in the wash, I think I'll take a walk.

A vigorous one.

7 comments:

MarilynB said...

Welcome back, you were missed.

Grumpy Chair said...

Welcome back Debbi. I love when Fang Jr. reads aloud to his little sister.

Sounds like you had a great trip. Glad you made it back home safely.

Joan said...

Yay-- welcome back! Always enjoy your posts, and hope the walk was a good one.

365 Dresses said...

Yeah, I missed you, too. I'd pop over to you and check to see if you'd posted. But no. Gone all week. :(

So I'm glad you are back!

ws said...

Welcome back! Sounds like a great trip - I'll try to see if I can locate a retailer with Sockguy.

I hate, hate, hate laundry - the washing/drying is fine, the folding is awful.

Mary Gee said...

So glad you're back! I missed you. I lived in small towns for 6 years and missed simple things like having a pizza delivered. I am a suburb girl.

mehitabel said...

Isn't it part of the post-trip letdown, to have to face the heap of laundry that accumulated while you were gone? I spent 3 weeks away from laundry facilities and thought I'd have a mountain to do when I got home. Surprise--wore the same two outfits over and over and over and so there wasn't a whole lot to wash--but it did need it badly! Welcome back!