Saturday, October 21, 2006

A time to rend and a time to sew

First, I've been remiss in thanking all of you who have commented recently. I really appreciate it when you take the time to add your thoughts and be my cheerleader. You're the best!

Now, let's talk about knitting – that's what the title is all about.

I finished the 'skirt' portion of Tilt last night, but didn't measure to see if it was in ballpark-range of fitting me. As the fiber is a cotton/wool blend, I believe I can shrink it if it's roomy, thus avoiding any rending. However I'm not sure I like how, um, colorful it is. Since one of the colors in the mix is black, I can at least wear it with black slacks or a black skirt, but I know I would never buy something that includes black, grey, magenta, hunter green and four shades of brown. So Tilt, at this stage of the game, is iffy for finishing.

I've finished and worn t
he plum-colored V-neck pullover I was working on in April, and there's no avoiding the fact that the sleeves will need to be shortened. That's another word for rended. Heh. Fortunately I had picked up stitches at the shoulder and worked my down to the cuff, so all I need to do is rip back from the lower edge until the length is right and reknit a cuff. I am loathe to rip it, but it shall be done.

The sewing project is, of course, the Oat Couture Seville Jacket, which still rests in pieces in the guest room. I'm putting that on today's agenda. And then I'm praying it fits. I usually wear slightly oversized – well, okay, sloppy – tops, the kind that hide all possible flaws. This jacket is more fitted than any other I've worn in the last 10 years. So the jury's out on whether I will wear it, or pass it on to someone else. Since it's pink, and pink is no longer the new black, I'm not sure anyone else would even want it.

I also need to shorten four pairs of purchased pants and a skirt, which means dragging out the sewing machine, ironing board and iron. Do any of you other short people find that petite sizes aren't as petite as they used to be? I've never had to shorten already-short slacks before. Could I possibly be shrinking in height as well as girth? [Of course I can, but I certainly don't wish to!]

And I would like to accomplish all this rending and sewing in the next four days, as I'll be traveling next weekend and it would be good to have some Clothes That Fit to take with me. And these would qualify, if I would just get to work on them.

When I was planning and preparing for the party, I had a to-do list that kept me on task. I will occasionally jot down three or four projects that I'd like to get done, and I – like many of you, I'm sure – get great satisfaction from crossing off each item as it's finished. [The only thing remaining undone on the current list is 'Sew Seville Jacket.']

I also like crossing off each meal from my pre-planned eDiets menus. I usually don't eat the prescribed breakfast, lunch, dinner or snack on the day it's prescribed, but I do eat most of them by the end of the week. I mix them up to suit what's in the refrigerator or pantry, or to suit my mood du jour. The crossing off, though, gives me that sense of staying on plan.

I hope your plans for the weekend include something fun. All rending and sewing make the Shrinking Knitter a cranky woman.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

I think my mom is going to have to learn how to knit. She had a sort of sweater/jacket very similar to Tilt, and has been searching high and low to find a suitable replacement.