Wednesday, October 18, 2006

It's all in the attitude

As you know, I'm a fan of SparkPeople, even though I'm using eDiets for my menu plan. [eDiets offers more individualized choices, for a price, while SparkPeople's program is free. Be sure to check it out, if you haven't already!] I signed up for several of SP's e-mailed motivational and fitness newsletters when I first learned of the site. While not everything 'speaks' to me, this article did.

I spend a lot of time by myself here in the Middle of Nowhere, and therefore end up talking to myself a lot, as well. I guess we all do a lot of self-talking, actually, and we're learning that positive self-talk can lead to positive results, just as negative equals negative.

I've learned for me that the most helpful attitude I can adopt is one that is simply matter-of-fact. If I try to be my own cheerleader, I'll inevitably disappoint myself. Conversely, when my inner voice scolds and berates, I'm likely to get defiant and act out.

The writer of the article suggests that dealing with diet rage is more fun if you've asked someone else to come along for the ride.

When I started busting my ass last January, I read a variety of weight-loss blogs for inspiration and motivation. They were my passengers, although they didn't know it. I commented occasionally, but mostly I just listened and learned. It was helpful to me to know I wasn't really alone, although it often felt like it.

Some of my blogger friends are taking little detours lately. I miss Beth very much. Renée is taking a break, as is Mar!a. I'm as hungry for their company as I am for breakfast this morning. [No breakfast for me, though; I have a doctor's appointment and am anticipating being sent to the lab to have my arm stuck.]

Staying on course can, at times, be tough, no doubt about it. I'm learning to enjoy the ride, and not just look forward to the destination. The miles – and pounds – are slipping away, as long as I follow the map. Until everyone else gets back on board, I'll just crank up the iPod and move on down the road.

I hope we can all get together for virtual coffee at the end of the trip.

No comments: