Thursday, September 13, 2007

Blog break

Except for the length of time I spent at the doctor's office and hospital yesterday, all went well. Dr. C totally got it that my frustration level was at the bursting point. He didn't doubt for a minute that I was eating reasonable amounts of healthy food or that I was running and working out like a crazy person.

Heh.

I was most proud of my resting pulse rate – just 62 – and believe me it was resting. I sat in the waiting room for more than an hour and spent another 40 minutes in the examination room before I spoke with Dr. C himself.

We discussed symptoms, feelings, diet, exercise – the only topics we missed were religion or politics – and he ordered lots of blood tests to rule out/confirm anemia and hypothyroidism. He also started me on an antidepressant.

I feel better just by being proactive about the whole thing. I'll be one of those people wailing about wasting all that time trying to snap out of it on my own, when the answer was to simply admit I had a problem I couldn't solve, and ask for help from someone who could.

Thanks again for all your comments. I appreciate all of you so much.

I didn't have much time to run outside yesterday so I hopped on the treadmill for the two-mile easy run I was supposed to have done Tuesday. Today is seven miles of speedwork, but I'm not going to worry my pretty little head about hitting a 10:59 pace for three of those miles. I'm going to do seven miles on my hilly road and call it done, and I'll be sure to fly down the hills and on the flats.

I'll be away from the computer until Monday ... I hope everyone has a great weekend. If you're racing, may you post a new personal best and if you're training may the temperatures be moderate and the humidity low.

7 comments:

Anne M. said...

Good job on being proactive with the doctor. Asking for help isn't an admission of failure at all; it simply enlists help to resolve whatever it is. I think it's a sign of real strength.

The tests will find or rule out things and whatever the results, that will be important to have figured out.

Enjoy your time away from the computer!

Laura N said...

So glad the Dr. appt went well. That's an excellent heart rate you have there. See you Monday.

Jack Sprat said...

Happy trails on your run today!

ws said...

I swear I left a comment earlier...have a great weekend.

I might need to re-read paragraph 5 over a few times before it sinks in...

denise said...

Your heart rate is especially impressive in light of the one hour & 40 minute wait to see the doctor.

Even if I started with a rate of 62, it would have been considerably higher - along with my blood pressure - by the time the doctor got there to take it!

Enjoy your break.

Anonymous said...

Debbie,
Blessings to you this weekend. Hope you have success with your medication-sometimes we all need a little help (some more than others and I would classify myself in the more than others!)
Sam

Mary Gee said...

I hope you get the answer you need to solve the problem... and that it is an easy one.