Monday, June 19, 2006

Larry Bird's number

Back when the Boston Celtics were playing good basketball, I was one of their biggest fans. Larry Bird was a huge part of their success in the '80s, along with Robert Parish, Danny Ainge, Dennis Johnson, Kevin McHale and Bill Walton. [I did not Google any of those names … it's amazing the things the more … ahem … mature brain retains.]

So when I got on the scale this morning for the weekly weigh-in, and saw that I'd lost two more pounds[!] for a total of 33, the first thing I thought of was Larry Bird's number.

Sometimes I wish I had those smiley emoticons, so you'd know I was making a joke. Written out like this, it looks pretty lame.

I walked 34 miles this week, which tops my previous total high by a mile. Average daily calories were again a little low, at 1127. I burned an average of 569 calories per day doing an average of 93 minutes of daily intentional exercise.

For some knitting news, I finished the Krista Tee, and I don't care for it at all. I thought from the get-go that a gauge of 4 stitches per inch was too bulky for such a delicate-looking top, and I was right. Not sure if I'll pitch it or unravel it; it's Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece, so not hard to come by, and only three skeins, so not much to sacrifice if I do throw it away. I might do Krista again when I get to my goal weight, after refiguring the math for a finer gauge.

I started – and started, and started – a Shapely Tank [a great, basic, free pattern by the designer of the Krista Tee], using a cotton yarn that is space-dyed in olive, sky blue and cream. I'd have saved some time by doing a gauge swatch. 'Nuff said about that!

I forgot to mention that on one of my walks earlier this week I rounded a curve and saw a neighbor walking what looked like a very large black dog. Think Great Dane-sized. Turns out it was a calf [I thought of you, Amanda!] that had gotten through a neighbor's fence. It had been grazing – and bellowing for its mother – under her bedroom window all night, and at 6:30 in the morning she'd had enough, and started herding it home. I caught up with her and we found five more cows in the woods. The whole herd had been out whooping it up all night.

Sandy asked in a recent comment who my PushTV trainer was. My first DVD came Saturday, but I haven't opened it yet, so I'm not sure! I'll report later … probably much later, as it's been much more fun walking outside than working out indoors. But it's gotta rain sooner or later, and I'll check it out then.

1 comment:

Debbi said...

Thanks for your comment, Greta! If I were 20 years younger I'd probably be losing a lot more, and a lot more quickly. There really is something to the slowdown of metabolism that goes along with the aging process. Darn it!