Monday, July 31, 2006

Bet you've never heard this advice before

Greta commented yesterday, regarding the impact of obesity on women and men, that another difference between genders is physical strength and bone structure. She makes a good point, leading me to believe that hormonal issues may also come into play. I discount the stress theory somewhat, as well; mostly because I'd like to think a news story about obesity wouldn't be enough to send the fair sex straight to the pantry.

My weight stayed the same again this week. Two things are apparent to me, after looking over the spreadsheets I've been keeping all year which calculate average calories eaten per day, average calories burned per day and average minutes of activity per day.

But first, a caveat: I'm only writing this down for me. I'm not asking for advice, because what I need to do is evident.
  • I lose weight when I eat between 1000 and 1100 calories per day. I stay the same when I eat 1100 to 1200 calories per day. I gain weight when I eat 1300 calories per day or more.

  • My activity numbers have been steadily dropping, little by little. I need to increase the amount of time I spend doing intentional exercise, and I also need to be more active when I'm not engaged in deliberate physical activity.
The answer?

Move more and eat less. Duh.